Tuesday, March 18, 2008

On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness by Andrew Peterson: A Rambling Sort of Review

“By Andrew Peterson.” Do I really need to say much more than that? If you are a regular here, probably not. You already know what I think about all things AP, so elaboration might not be necessary. But on the off-chance that someone new stumbles across this page, let me give fair warning. I am a fan1. But please, Dear Reader, do not let my slight bias overshadow the main point of this post:

You must read this book.

If you love fantasy, you must read this book. If you love adventure, you must read this book. If you love dragons and treasure and secrets and mystery and humor and family and honor and cheese, you must read this book! And if you love to discover the deeper beauty and hidden majesty buried within deceptively simple tales, you MUST read this book. Let me tell you why…

Andrew Peterson has been labeled with many titles. Singer. Songwriter. Christian Artist. Friend of Cheese. But, I believe the most fitting title is that of Storyteller. He has been spinning his tales for years through song and has now entered into the world of Fiction, much to the delight of his fans2. But you don’t have to know his music to fall hard for his literature. This novel is stand-alone fantastic, sure to be treasured by all those lucky enough to find themselves in possession of a copy3. (You can buy your own here.)

Rather than tell you about the book, I’m going to tell you about why I love the book. (Go to The Rabbit Room for a great review…or just go to The Rabbit Room for a great many…great things.) Like everything else AP, the quality of writing is almost painfully good. Though the reader is introduced to a multitude of locations, characters, and foods wholly unique to the world of Aerwiar, the narrative is comfortable and familiar, like an old friend. The peculiar words do not hinder readability…rather, they plead with you to give them a voice. I often found myself reading aloud just to experience the whimsical taste of the words in my mouth.

But whimsy alone does not a good story make. And this is not just a good story…this is a great story. Great because, like AP’s music, it inevitably points to a greater story. The captivity of our own world is echoed on the faces of the Skreeans, unable to erase the shadows of sorrow, even at the much-anticipated Dragon Day Festival. But each year, on this extraordinary day, Hope swells with the dragons’ song in the hearts of the captives…reminding them anew of what it’s like to be alive…what it’s like to be free. When the dragons sink back into the sea, all that swelled submerges, to lie dormant again until next year. Well, nearly all. Our boy-hero, Janner, seems to have held onto a morsel, bittersweet as homesickness, and just enough to quicken his appetite…leaving him hungry for an incomprehensible…more.

The book left me hungry for more, as well…but I know exactly what I want. A second helping of Wingfeather Saga, please. (With a generous portion of Peet the Sock Man!4) I giggled in the first chapter, wept in the last, and feared those fearsome toothy cows all along the way. The ending, while not entirely unpredictable, had enough clever bends to keep me riveted to the very last word. And though I was altogether satisfied with the conclusion, I sighed heavily with the turn of the final page. When does Book Two come out, again?

And did I tell you that you must read this book?




1. By “fan” I mean zealous admirer, vehement advocate, and tireless promoter of the man’s work. One might also use terms like fierce, rabid, and very-nearly-obsessed…if one was so inclined and rather ill-mannered.

2. Oh, yes. There are many of us. See footnote 1 for additional information or visit AP's site to meet some of them.

3. Post a comment here on Canaan Bound about the book and you’ll get a chance to win a free copy. More details on that to come, if necessary. (By “if necessary” I mean if anyone other than a Regular Reader actually posts a comment, and I have to figure out how to get said free copy to Unknown Commenter. Check back.)

4. Peet the Sock Man, oh how I love thee! You deserve your own post, but that must wait until this world is more fully acquainted with you.

5 comments:

JR said...

ARGH! It makes sense. It makes a lot of sense. And it's exponentially better than mine. Maybe I'll just tell people to read yours. Saves me the re-write...

AmyD said...

Mostly ditto on June's comment. I'd just add one note about math...which is already written. But your descriptions are so beautiful and right. Plus you have footnotes! I LOVE footnotes. You crack me up.

Kelsey said...

Whoa, I like dragons and treasure and secrets and CHEESE, so methinks I will have to read this book at some point. (Does the book come with cheese?) Although it sounds like I shouldn't even try to touch it until I have a weekend free to devote to it so I'm not tempted to do things like skip work to continue reading about Peet the Sock Man (yes, you've piqued my interest on that one). I'm not so sure about this whole weeping at the last chapter thing, though.

And in reference to footnote 1 -- "very-nearly-obsessed"? I'm not sure I agree with the "very-nearly" part. :)

Kelsey said...

Oh and June, don't give up on your post. I want to read it, too!

Tanya said...

I liked your review. I ditto what she said. Especially things about footnote 1.