Monday, April 28, 2008

hebrews 12:1-3

So, I’ve been running a bit lately. Seriously. A friend of mine caught me at a weak moment and convinced a few of us to enter a 5K in June. Now, if you know me, you know I am not a runner. I try to stay in somewhat decent shape, but I’m pretty sure I’ve only ever actually ran for two reasons: One…because I had to, either at practice or to pass gym class. Two…chasing (or being chased by) bears. That’s it. I have never felt the desire to run for it’s own sake. I have bad knees…my perpetual excuse. Those years of Poms and Cheerleading had to be paid for somehow, and we all decided to sacrifice a long future of bendable joints. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

But it’s been 10 years since high school (hello, reunion!) and I have been racking up the miles on the ellipticals at Smitty’s. And the three other women that signed up for the 5K have all sworn to be non-runners like me. (I have my doubts about the truth of those claims, one in particular. You know who you are.) “We’ll run when we feel like it and walk when we feel like it.”1 So I figured I didn’t have much to lose. We found a plan called “Couch to 5K” that’s supposed to be really effective for pretty much anyone wanting to start from zero. I downloaded some podcasts that go with the running schedule and bought a new pair of running shoes. (Ok, ok…I also created an Excel spreadsheet with the plan laid out and spaces for each of us to type in our names when we’ve completed each session. Shared on Google Docs, of course.) So, we stepped off the ellipticals and hit hard pavement.

Turns out I wasn’t lying about my knees. My right one may be the death of me, in fact. I am hoping that it’s just weak, and with a little more training…it will get better. I started using a good brace last night, and the added stability seemed to help. But it wasn’t great, even after 5 days of rest. And then I took the brace off. Goodness. Why, oh why do we live on the second floor? Stairs: my new arch nemesis.

I’ve gotten a plethora of helpful advice: “Get a brace.” “Ice packs and aspirin!” “Stretching should help.” And my favorite…”Running is probably the worst thing you could do right now.” But since I really, really want to follow through with this, ice packs and aspirin are on my shopping list. And since the 5K is only 6 weeks away, extended resting isn’t really an option right now. But we’ll see.

Anyway, my point about posting this was not to complain. I’ve been thinking a lot about the whole discipline of running, sticking to a plan, achieving a goal…and stumbling blocks (or knee problems) along the way. My desire to push ahead through the pain has much less to do with the 5K and much more to do with lessons in perseverance2. How impatient I am once I have my sights fixed on a prize…and how often I am discouraged by roadblocks or detours. How quickly I give up and settle into the grass along the side of the road. And how envious I am as I watch others sprint by, breathing easily. How can it be so effortless for some, while I’m panting on the ground, nursing my wounds?

I want to be done with excuses. I want to cast off the impatience and the jealousy and the past mistakes. I want to get off the couch for reasons greater than chasing bear. I want to chase Jesus.


Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. Heb 12:1-3

May we not grow weary, Dear Reader. May we, for the joy set before us, endure.


1. Now I know there are those of you out there that think 5K is no big deal and you can run for miles and miles and not get winded. Good for you. I can’t. Please don’t laugh at me.
2. Ma, if you’re reading this…don’t worry. I know the spiritual metaphor can only be taken so far. I promise to listen to my body and ease off if my knee doesn’t improve over the next few weeks.

4 comments:

JR said...

Pete would approve. Lovely as always dear Shan.

Kelsey said...

I thought maybe my long-awaited Pete Peter Peterson post was here, but I like this one, too. Except I can't believe you called out Jen on whether or not she's willing to walk part of the time! ;) She IS dominating the spreadsheet it seems.

I think our motto for this 5k might have to be something like you said: "We want to chase Jesus."

Anonymous said...

i think that's another t-shirt in the making....

Shannon said...

Lol