Tuesday, February 19, 2008

as time goes by (or bring on the birthday (cheese)cake!)

So…Daniel. Yeah, he’s cool.

Here I was, reading along, doing my observations on Daniel 4, not really expecting any surprises…after all…I have read it before. King Nebuchadnezzar is giving his testimony about the second prophetic dream the Lord gave him. Like the first, none of his magicians and conjurers or wise men can interpret it for him. Then I come along to verse 8…little old, unobtrusive verse 8. I didn’t even get through the whole verse…just the first five words: “But finally Daniel came in”. Finally? Finally Daniel came in? Where was Daniel? By this time, he and Nebby were good buddies, right? He had already done such a great job interpreting the king’s first dream. Nebuchadnezzar declared that “a spirit of the gods” was in Daniel and made him Chief Magician…so where was he when his subordinates were fumbling around all incompetent? One would think he’d be the first one called in. Why all the fuss? Why waste time?

This Sunday in Small Church we studied the story of Lazarus in John 11. Jesus hears his friend is sick and then waits two days before even starting to head in his direction. Lazarus has been dead for four days by the time Jesus arrives. Martha and Mary both know that Lazarus would not have died had Jesus been with him…so why wait? Christ even wept with them, though He was fully aware He would shortly call Lazarus forth from the grave. Why all the fuss of letting Lazarus die at all? Why wait?

Lazarus’ passing through death, and having the ties that bound him removed reminded me of Daniel’s three friends. Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego also could have questioned the Lord’s timing. If He was planning on delivering them anyway, why not do that before the all the fuss of the fire? Why wait??

I know one of the answers to this question is commonly “God brings us through the fire to refine us.” And I agree…God will certainly use circumstances in our lives to burn away those impurities and make us all shiny. But I think there’s another answer, and that’s the one He’s hammering into my heart. Sometimes…it might not be about us at all. Sometimes…it’s about Him. Why send in the magicians and conjurers again? Why let Lazarus die? Why roast the faithful Jews? And getting ahead of myself a little…why throw Daniel in with the lions (who, by the way, was found innocent before the king AND the Lord…so I’m not so sure about the need for refining there)? Why wait?

Because it brings Him more glory.

How much more memorable is it to deliver Your servants from a roaring furnace, or a lions’ den, than to simply allow them to escape the king's hand? How much more astounding is it to raise a man from the dead than to heal a sick man? Because sometimes sick men (like those turned into newts) get better. How much more impressive was Daniel’s ability to interpret the dream when no one else was found capable? God waited, and His waiting brings Him the most glory.

So, let’s get practical. Why is this important to me? I am about to turn 28. And I’ve been whining about that a bit. I would be fine with being 28…if I were married. If I could see a family in my near future. If my life was going as I had planned, according to my schedule. And I’m tired of being told to wait; that God’s preparing me…or refining me…or whatever me. I feel prepared. To be perfectly honest, I feel like I can relate to Daniel pretty well right now. I’m found living in obedience, innocent before the Lord. (Please don’t misunderstand me…I’m quite aware of my sinfulness…but as far as where God is calling me, and what He is calling me to do…I am confident that I am right where He would have me.) So, why wait?

What if…it’s all about Him? What if all this waiting will bring Him the most glory? I can live with that. In fact, isn’t that what I’m living for?

So, no more complaining about being old. I will hold fast to this truth: God orchestrates events and circumstances to bring glory to Himself…and He’s all about the timing. My patience will be rooted in knowing not just that He is working things out for my good; He is working things out for His glory. In all my struggles with singleness, this is the most precious truth He has given me. And what amazes me is…this is not a new truth for me. It’s just been spoken a bit louder this last week, and I’ve heard it a little more clearly. Sometimes, God waits. But…

Finally, Daniel came in.

5 comments:

Kelsey said...

I think you forgot to mention all along the important fact that Daniel was single... kinda like Paul and Jesus. ;)

Ok, but in all seriousness I think that's some pretty cool stuff you've said there.

Griese Family said...

When are you going to get published? Seriously woman, you should. You always inspire me. Love you so!
-Jess

JR said...

HA HA!! Kels--you're terrible. In all seriousness though, excellent post as always. I will fully support any efforts in publishing spurred on by Jess. I'm glad I don't try to write really well on my blog because I just wouldn't. You do though, and I'm not even sure that you try all that hard.
Much love from she with the Strep.

AmyD said...

Wow. I wish I was around to hear more of your thoughts on Daniel! That's some good stuff.

You know what's weird? A couple nights ago I had a dream that you were having a big birthday party. You were excited and Jeanette was putting it on, but everyone was chipping in. I think I was even planning on coming from Mt P to go to your party. It was like the big party of the year that everyone was going to. And then you go and write a post like this. Weird.

Kelsey said...

Yeah, it's time to get published. Apparently this post is already becoming famous. I was talking to my sister today, and she told me that a friend of ours in the D.C. area saw the link from my blog, read your post, and passed it on to my sister in China because he thought it was good. Basically you're world renowned already.