Wednesday, April 30, 2008

albertoing



Here is my most highly embarrassing post ever, but it’s for Kelsey…and she’s leaving us soon to be a missionary in Africa, so it’s pretty much impossible to say no to her right now.

Do you remember when you were 131? Were you just crazy over some actor2 or rock star? Everyone my age had a crush on at least one of the New Kids3. Did you hang posters up in your room? Soak up all the mundane info offered in the teen magazines? Secretly dream of meeting him? Somehow you knew that if you just had the chance, he would most likely fall madly in love with you and life thereafter would be pretty much perfect4.

If you think I’m going to expound on how those childish feelings shadow the longing for the Great Romance…you’re wrong. I’m going to hang my head sheepishly and admit…I, at 28 years old, have just such a crush on someone.


Pete Peterson.


*sigh*

He’s not exactly a famous rockstar, or famous anything. He is the brother of a not-so-well known storyteller (but you all know him!), and I know next to nothing about him. I don’t even know his real name. I think it may have started before The Rabbit Room was opened, but his posts on that site have been my undoing. You could say I am pretty much infatuated with him. He's creative, sarcastic, and surprisingly vulnerable in the thoughts that he shares online. He likes Lost and cheesecake and good art. (He also eats pickles, but how could you hold that against him after reading this, my favorite post?) I find myself visiting the RR with the hope that he has recently been hanging around, and letting us all into his mind for a moment or two5.

To hopefully detract from the general creepiness6 of this post, I'm going to say this: I think I appreciate him as much as I appreciate his brother, Andrew...if not more. Seriously. Both of them encourage me (unknowingly!) through sharing their views on God, religion, life...or just random silliness. But Pete is single (as far as I know anyway) and I think single people tend to view life through a slightly different lens. This lens isn't sharper or blurrier than others, just different. And maybe sharing that prescription with him allows me to connect in a unique way. Or maybe I'm just trying to justify my absurd girlish behavior! Either way, I encourage you to read the provided posts, and get to know this mysterious brother of AP's. But don't get too attached...he's mine!7 Seriously.


1. I’m pretty sure I don’t have any readers under that age, so it’s probably an answerable question.

2. For sake of convenience, and honesty, we’ll also assume all my readers are female…I apologize if this is not the case. If you are not female, and you are reading this, you’ve never left a comment, so I don’t know you’re out there. I have suspicions, but as much as I enjoy albertoing via SiteMeter, it does not tell me your gender. Alas, perhaps one day it will.

3. Except Jill. She never did. Or claims she never did, anyway. Maybe one day, SiteMeter will reveal that mystery as well.

4. Do you remember that Kelsey? *snicker* Or are you thinking “Is she still speaking English? What?”

5. For a somewhat dated, but...um...interesting look into the mind of Pete, check this out. Fascinating, I tell you.

6. I know nothing can actually detract from the creepiness. I have no excuses. If Pete ever ends up hearing about this, and presses charges...one of you will post bail, right? I should be relatively safe, considering my readership barely hits double digits....but you never know. Friends of friends, and all that. Grieses...that means you are sworn to silence on this subject! You are the dangerous ones...with all your connections! Of course, jail time isn't really a concern either, since I would die of mortification first!

7. Yes, it's another footnote! Deal with it! They have now (mostly) replaced my overuse of parentheses!

5 comments:

JR said...

I LOVE IT! The magazine, the footnotes, the general creepiness... I love it all. And I can attest to the albertoish nature of it all...she got online last night after we got home from dinner and was slinking around in the Rabbit Room, no doubt looking for Pete.

AmyD said...

Wow. I knew you had a crush on him...but wow. It seems a little borderline stalker-ish, but I'm happy you can admit that you're acting creepy. Which I think is totally fine because you guys would be great together and who cares if it starts from you being a creeper, right? And when I've read Peet's...I mean Pete's blogs I've thought of you and so I'm all for this!

Lastly, keep doing footnotes. I LOVE FOOTNOTES!

Kelsey said...

Hilarious! And I like Pete's pickle post, although I myself actually like pickles for the sake of pickles (not just for making sandwiches taste better).

Now I have to figure out how to nudge Pete to start reading in this general direction...

Anonymous said...

My apologies. I spoke in error on Monday night. I had not realized that a short little footnote on Peet had turned into a full-blown rumorous post.

Well done.
C

Kelsey said...

So... I know you're working on owning a home and all, but still, May 1 is your last post? Pete would be disappointed. Even *he's* been posting more often than you after seeming to take a break there for a bit.

Let's see a post about your house. I can supply pics of the backyard. ;)