
Yes, I am old enough to have had a birthday party at ShowBiz Pizza Place. (“But you look so young!”) You young'uns may know it as Chuck E. Cheese’s, but whatever you call it, it’s always been the place where a kid can be a kid. Pizza, Whack-a-Mole, and freakish animatronic entertainment. What more could a girl ask for?
I was going to post something rather melancholy and beautiful about turning 27 years old today, but I have had too good of a birthday to be wistful. My celebration actually started last night when I checked my email and saw that my dear friend June had tagged me in a note entitled “Happy Birthday Shannon!” I couldn’t resist reading it a bit early. Dear June makes me cry. Today I had lunch with my mom, sister, and niece…I spent a few hours catching up with my friend Jeanna and her new son…I had dinner with my dad…I worshipped with my REAL brothers and sisters…and I ate a chocolate cupcake.
I also opened some really great gifts given in really great polka dot bags. Two books that made me squeal (not that charming of a sound!) when I saw them, a supremely appropriate book in its original language (that I don’t speak), a sketch by a young Miss Audrey, and an extra-special tee-shirt that reminds me to breathe. Oh, and some chocolate, of course.
What more could a girl ask for? To dam the wave of sentiment that threatens to flood us all, I will withhold any further details of how I feel about those who helped me celebrate this day…except to say “I love you. So much.” It is good to be 27.
May you feel the kisses of God today, and be completely swept off your feet.
1 comment:
Look at little Shannon! She's so cute! Acutally, grown-up Shannon's pretty darn cute herself (and I thought the squeal was very charming!) I'm glad you had a good day. :)
Post a Comment