(aka...The Excessively Long Post)
Many of you know that I love my daily Bible reading plan. It’s pretty straight forward…I read about three chapters of a particular book a day as well as a psalm. God has used this plan (written by a person unknown to me, who simply divided the Word into 365 easily digestible parts) countless times to speak directly into my life. Sometimes, He whispers a discreet word of encouragement…and sometimes, He skips the embellishments and communicates His point quite plainly. Last night was one of those latter times.
The past few weeks have been difficult…as hard as it is for me to admit. In earlier posts, I’ve referred to them as turbulent, contemplative, interesting. But difficult is most likely the more accurate description. I’ve been struggling to find direction and purpose and answers to all those typical post-college questions. “What is my vision for my life? What is God’s vision for my life? Are they the same?” I had thought I was beyond that stage when suddenly…whoops…there goes the rug out from under me. A couple circumstances changed and I found myself on the floor, with a few new bruises. And sometimes it hard to get back up again, for fear of not finding the strength to stand, and falling down once more.
Anyway…this is basically where I was when I opened my Bible last night...willing to stand…wanting to stand…but not quite sure how to go about it. My reading for the day was the three chapters of Habakkuk. Chapter 2 starts with the prophet declaring “I will stand on my guard post and station myself on the rampart, and I will keep watch to see what He will speak to me, and how I may reply when I am reproved.” Matthew Henry (yes, I consulted a commentary!) elaborates on this verse:
“The prophet’s standing upon his tower, or high place, intimates his prudence, in making use of the helps and means he had within his reach to know the mind of God, and to be instructed concerning it. Those that expect to hear from God must withdraw from the world, and get above it, must raise their attention, fix their thought, study the scriptures, consult experiences and the experienced, continue instant in prayer, and thus set themselves upon the tower.”
Sounds like good instruction for me, no? But then the Lord answers the prophet in verse 3 “For the vision is yet for the appointed time; It hastens toward the goal and it will not fail. Though it tarries, wait for it; For it will certainly come, it will not delay.” Now, I know the vision He’s talking about isn’t exactly the same as the vision I’m searching for, but the idea’s the same, I think. How do I ready myself to receive God’s vision? Stand guard. Get myself to the high place and pay attention. And wait. It will certainly come.
But God doesn’t stop there. Habakkuk ends with a couple of verses I find especially encouraging and pertinent.
“Though the fig tree should not blossom and there be no fruit on the vines, though the yield of the olive should fail and the fields produce no food, though the flock should be cut off from the fold and there be no cattle in the stalls, yet I will exult in the Lord, I will rejoice in the God of my salvation. The Lord God is my strength, and He has made my feet like hind’s feet, and makes me walk on my high places.” (Hab 3:17-19)
Sounds a lot like being unemployed and broke…but still finding joy and strength in the Lord. And I just finished reading Hinds’ Feet on High Places. The book of Habakkuk was placed in my daily reading plan at just the right time. Amazing, right? But it gets better…
My psalm for the day was #104. It explains how God cares for all of His creation.
“He causes the grass to grow for the cattle, and vegetation for the labor of man, so that he may bring forth food from the earth. (v.14) And wine which makes man’s heart glad, so that he may make his face glisten with oil, and food which sustains man’s heart. (v.15) The trees of the Lord drink their fill (v.16)…They all wait for You to give them their food in due season. (v. 27) You give to them, they gather it up, You open Your hand, they are satisfied with good. (v. 28)”
Cattle, trees, fruit of the vine, olive oil, food…it’s the same list as Habakkuk. God is my provider of all these things…everything that sustains me. He gives, and takes away…in due time. And I will exult in the Lord and rejoice in the God of my salvation.
May the Lord God open His hand to you, and may you be satisfied with good.
Thursday, February 8, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
::thud:: That would be the sound of my jaw hitting the floor. Isn't that last part of Habakkuk the part that Matt-Joe read at TNT last night? I love it when you let us eavesdrop on what God is saying to you, because it's always SO good! You get a gold star for this one kiddo!
Hi Bonnie! Thanks for the comments (and the. That other mystery's got me stumped and stoked. Details to follow...Ok, too far. Sorry. :D
Der! "the." is supposed to read "the book".
Post a Comment